MGES Application Procedures
- An application for admission to graduate study.
- A $50 non-refundable processing fee.
- An official transcript of the baccalaureate degree, demonstrating a recommended minimum GPA of 3.0 and evidence of a program of studies (major or minor, or extensive course work) directly relevant to the M.A. program in one of the following or related disciplines:
Gallery Management or Museum Studies
The baccalaureate-granting institution must send the transcript directly to the Western Colorado University Office of Graduate Studies.
- An 800-1,000 word personal statement describing the applicant’s experience and career interests in the art, gallery, museum, and/or cultural heritage sector, and commitment to the arts or cultural heritage. A writing sample of 8-10 pages, double-spaced and appropriately formatted for the particular document (this could be a research or concept paper from an appropriate undergraduate or graduate class, research from a gallery, museum, or cultural heritage project, successful grant proposal in the arts, or another similar and substantial document demonstrating the applicant’s ability to manage research and/or writing demands at the graduate level).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from individuals capable of assessing the applicant’s preparation to succeed in a low-residency M.A. program in Gallery Management and Exhibits Specialization. These will be submitted by the recommender electronically via a link in the online admissions application.
- Reading and spoken competency in English is required. Reading competency in an additional language is preferred; please include evidence of the latter in the application supporting documents (this can include GRE or similar test scores if available).
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.http://www.ets.org/toefl
*If you are an International Student please visit the International Graduate Students page, to see additional requirements.
- GRE scores are not required for this program, unless the student is unable to provide one or more of the above listed requirements.
Provisional Admittance Policy
Students who have some deficiency in undergraduate training or incomplete credentials may be approved for provisional admission into the MGES program upon the recommendation of the Director of the MGES, and approval by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
To be admitted provisionally into the MGES program, applicants must demonstrate:
- an overall undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher;
- some formal background or training in gallery management and exhibits specialization or related fields (e.g. coursework, internships, work study);
- ability to manage the assigned graduate courses while completing their undergraduate program or other provisions (e.g. the personal statement and references should indicate the candidate’s ability to undertake such an academic load and online course work at the graduate level).
In accordance with School of Graduate Studies Admissions Policies, a provisionally admitted student will have a maximum of one calendar year to complete any prerequisite academic coursework.
The MGES Program Director will assess provisionally admitted student progress towards completion of prerequisites and success in all MGES program and course work through meetings scheduled monthly and at the end of each semester within the required completion timeline. Provisionally admitted students not making sufficient progress, as determined by the MGES Program Director, in consultation with the MGES faculty and Dean of Graduate Studies, will be withdrawn from the program.